The RU English Department is hiring a writing/editing intern for Fall 2016 to help with the administration and marketing of a new, graduate-level certificate program in Professional Writing. The program will enroll its first cohort of post-baccalaureate students (i.e., individuals who already have a Bachelor’s degree) in the fall.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled.
More information about the internship, including how to apply, can be found “after the jump.” (Click to expand the post and reveal the complete job listing.)
The English Department is seeking a writer/editor intern for Fall 2016 to help market a new online Graduate Certificate in Professional Writing program to potential students. The intern will report to the coordinators of the program.
The writer/editor intern will be responsible for assisting in the development of marketing and public relations materials in both print and digital formats.
- Create and post content for the program’s social media platforms, including an official Facebook Page
- Create and maintain an editorial calendar to assist with long-term, social media content publication
- Respond to and engage with the program’s social media followers, and forward comments and questions from followers to the program coordinators when appropriate
- Update the program’s website and, possibly, blog
- Assist with writing, editing, and publishing email marketing materials
- Write and edit news releases and program announcements
- Write and edit magazine feature articles
- Create PowerPoint presentations
- Create and help distribute posters and information cards
- Act as a liaison with the Graduate College, University Relations, Printing Services, Alumni Relations, Career Services, Advising Centers, etc.
- Attend career and graduate fairs as needed
Skills and Experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with others in and outside the department in a professional manner
- Ability to follow instructions, meet deadlines, and manage time well
- Proficient expertise with Microsoft Office suite and RU email
- Successful completion of ENGL 306: Professional Writing by May 2016; if completion date is May 2016, the applicant must indicate in the application his/her current grade in the course
- Currently pursuing a concentration or minor in Technical and Business Writing
- Familiarity with WordPress, Facebook Pages, and Mail Chimp or a willingness to learn these technologies
- Willingness to learn how to write and format unfamiliar communication genres
- Approximately 10 hours per week
- May be taken for credit (ENGL 495 or elective); grade is pass/fail
- Excellent practical experience to build a resume, portfolio, and professional networks
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled.